Welcome to FairPress
Welcome to Fair Press, founded in 2019 by Ottawa lawyer and author Mark Bourrie as a place to share insights and analyses about the press in Canada. We believe that a vibrant and fair press is more important than it has ever been, and similarly so is media analysis and critique. A fair press is one of the few protections that we have against arbitrary power.
Bourrie spent several decades as a journalist, including 24 years on Parliament Hill as a member of the Press Gallery. Bourrie holds a B.A. in History from the University of Waterloo, M.A. in Journalism from Carleton University. He earned his PhD in History at the University of Ottawa and wrote his thesis on the Second World War domestic censorship system.
He taught journalist and media studies at Concordia University in Montreal and the history of media propaganda at Carleton University. He published “Kill the Messengers,” a book about Stephen Harper’s media control in 2014, during his first year of law school at the University of Ottawa and in 2018 was called to the Ontario Bar. Bourrie advises clients on media law issues, defamation and civil litigation. He has written for publications including The Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, National Post, Montreal Gazette, Ottawa Citizen, Law Times, InterPress Service, and dozens of magazines.
In addition to journalism, Bourrie is a sessional lecturer on Media History, Censorship, and Propaganda at Carelton University and the University of Ottawa. He received the National Magazine Award and his next book, Bushrunner: The Adventures of Pierre Radisson, is out in Canada, and will be published in the United States in June.
Our Legal Services
We offer legal services in defamation and media regulation. Bourrie has litigation experience in Ontario’s Superior Court of Justice and at the CRTC. His clients include media outlets and individuals targeted with Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation. As well, he has advised media outlets on defamation issues.
On the regulatory side, he is counsel to a public policy organization that makes frequent interventions to the CRTC.
He is also pro-bono counsel to an organization that protects Great Lakes shipwrecks from vandalism.
Crisis Communication and Research Advice
We offer services to law firms and individuals.
- Bushrunner: The Adventures of Pierre Radisson. Windsor: Biblioasis, spring 2019
- The Killing Game: Martyrdom, Murder and the Lure of ISIS: Toronto: HarperCollins Canada, 2016
- Kill the Messengers: Stephan Harper’s Assault on Your Right to Know. Toronto: HarperCollins Canada, 2015
- Fighting Words: Canada’s Best War Reporting. Toronto: Dundurn, 2012
- The Fog of War. Vancouver, Douglas & McIntyre, 2011
- Many a Midnight Ship. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press/Toronto: Key Porter, 2005
- True Canadian Stories of the Great Lakes. Toronto: Key Porter/Prospero, 2005
- Hemp. Toronto: Key Porter, 2004
- Parliament. Toronto: Key Porter, 1999
- Flim Flam. Toronto: Dundurn, 1998
- By Reason of Insanity: The David Michel Krueger Story. Toronto: Dundurn, 1997
- The Parliament Buildings. Toronto: Dundurn, 1996
- Ninety Fathoms Down. Toronto: Dundurn, 1995
- Chicago of the North. Annan and Sons, 1993